Come alive with the breath. Tap into calm and regulate your emotions.
Breath basics Smooth, even diaphragmatic breath is the healthiest, most relaxing way to breathe. Many people in our stressed culture breathe primarily in the upper chest and their breath is often shallow and jerky. When we’re traumatized, our breathing patterns are even more constricted, in part due to physical tension.
Try these practices, building slowly from establishing smooth, diaphragmatic breath to regulating emotion and calming yourself through stabilizing your breath.
- Breath awareness: Breathe slowly, what’s your hurry?
- Smooth, even, diaphragmatic breath
- Diaphragmatic breath in shavasana position
- Diaphragmatic breath in crocodile pose
- One to one breathing
- Two to one breathing
- Counting one to five, five to one
- Bhastrika, strengthening breath
- Alternate nostril breathing
- Nadi Shodhanam Alternate Nostril Breathing